VFS is a dynamic organization known for its innovative and responsive approach to education and training in entertainment arts. Since opening its doors in 1987, VFS has played a central role in developing both local and global Animation, Visual Effects, Film, Television, Games, and Design industries. We invite you to become a part of the success of our world-renowned alumni and instructional team. Our work environment is progressive and collaborative—we offer competitive compensation, benefits, and lifestyle advantages.
About the Program
As an instructor in this program you will inspire students to become passionate about the look and appeal of characters, environments, and animation. You will teach them how to design new worlds—the creative blue-prints for entertainment properties, the vis-dev brain-food that artist teams need to fully visualize stories for the film, TV, and game industries.
Direct Link to this Posting
Reporting directly to the Creative Director and working under the supervision of the Senior Instructor, the Full-Time Instructor of the Animation and Concept Art (ACA) program is responsible for delivering curriculum effectively, teaching with learning centered approaches, and providing meaningful feedback, guidance, and support to students on a regular basis. The core focus of this role is on teaching. The successful candidate will work closely with staff members to help create a culture of exploration, discovery, and critical thinking that supports the overall vision of the ACA program.
- Work closely with the Creative Director, Senior Instructor, and other instructional staff to ensure curriculum is accurate, up-to-date and communicated to students in a clear and concise manner.
- Develop and deliver curriculum per the program mission and desired outcomes.
- Utilize course outlines to develop lesson plans and other course materials that detail what will be taught and how the course material will be delivered.
- Develop thorough and effective student assessment and grading systems consistent with VFS best practices.
- Mentor students—provide creative and technical guidance/support on their projects.
- Manage courses effectively—make certain that students are appraised of their academic standing in a regular and consistent manner including timely reporting of attendance and grades.
- Collaboration with Pipeline Supervisor on resources and equipment issues.
- Attend regular staff meetings.
- Participate in program events and support admissions/marketing activities as directed by HOD and Creative Director.
- Other duties assigned by the Interim Head of Animation & Visual Effects, Creative Director, and Senior Instructor
Skills & Requirements
- Relevant post-secondary certificate, diploma, or degree and 3+ year’s industry experience; or, 10+ years of industry experience.
- Prior post-secondary teaching experience is preferred (or demonstrated ability to lead workshops, lectures, and seminars).
- Portfolio demonstrating a high caliber of professional work.
- Expert knowledge of PhotoShop and SketchBook Pro, advanced knowledge of Harmony, ToonBoom, and Flash, and knowledge of Maya.
- Knowledge of Z-Brush an asset.
- Demonstrated ability to provide concise, constructive and pragmatic feedback and direction in a professional creative setting.
- Knowledge of current industry trends and development.
- Diversity of style and genre on design work an asset.