The FX Lead Technical Director is a highly skilled technical team leader responsible for the day-to-day management of the FX TD’s working on complex FX systems, technical workflows, and FX Pipeline Tools. The ideal candidate is strong technically and has some previous lead/supervisory experience.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Work closely with Head of Department / Supervisor and other leads to identify in-efficiencies on workflows, toolsets and procedures
- Work with FX Lead to oversee technical needs, build and implement toolsets and aid Artists and TDs with technical support.
- Identify procedures which could be automated and work with TDs to implement solutions.
- Participate in the overall strategy of the FX Pipeline and complex Effects which require R&D and shot production.
- Maintain the current tool set and extend/enhance as needed
- Report to Head of Department on a daily basis on the progress of technical solutions being implemented as well as well as possible bottlenecks
- Work closely with other TDs, Lighters, Compositors, and Render Wranglers to ensure smooth delivery of effects through our pipeline.
Required Skills & Experience:
- 3+ years film production experience with Houdini (Maya experience an asset)
- Working knowledge and understanding of FX lighting and compositing
- Must have strong communication skills and the ability to work within a team in our fast paced production environment.
- Must be self motivated and have a strong desire to produce the highest possible quality effects and tools within our production schedule.
- Good understanding of programming / scripting in HScript/Mel, Python
Additional Bonus Skills:
- FX Pipeline Development or advanced understanding of processes between software and formats
- Strong knowledge of RenderMan, Mantra
- Shader Development
- SQL / Database / Shotgun