Seneca College, School of Creative Arts and Animation
Part-time Animation Instructor
Position: Animation Instructor (Part-time, Contract)-2D Vector Animation (Toon Boom); 2D and 3D Character Design; Design for Animation
Reporting to the Chair, School of Creative Arts and Animation, the part time instructor will be responsible for providing academic leadership in the classroom, ensuring an effective and compelling learning environment for students. Through participation in the design, revision, delivery and evaluation of learning outcomes, the Professor will be responsible for developing a weekly schedule based on appropriate learning materials, and evaluating student performance. In these respects, the Professor must be able to work effectively both independently and as a team member.
- Develops individualized instruction and multimedia presentations, with a focus on experiential and project-based learning. Compensation may be granted for curriculum development.
- Selects or approves textbooks and learning materials.
- Teaches assigned courses, ensuring student awareness of course objectives, approach and evaluation techniques.
- Evaluates student progress and assumes responsibility for the overall assessment of the students’ work within assigned courses.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Completed academic credential in the discipline from a recognized post-secondary institution.
- Previous teaching experience at the post-secondary level preferred but not essential
- Minimum of 3 years industry experience.
- Excellent presentation, communication and human relation skills to interact effectively with the College’s multi-cultural/racial/able student and staff population.
- An understanding of and commitment to equity in education.
Specific Software and Skills Experience Required:
- 2D Vector Animation: Must have studio production experience using the 2D vector animation software Toon Boom Harmony. Applicant must have experience with “cut-out character” animation, character building, posing, design, and using the module library for complex rigging.
- 2D and 3D Character Design: Experienced designing characters for both 2D animation environment as well as 3D modeling.
Weekly Hours of Work: 6 to 12 hours per week.
Required Date: September 2015
Posting Date: May 29, 2015
Closing Date: June 15, 2015
Submit a letter of interest, samples of work, curriculum vitae, statement of teaching philosophy and the names of two qualified referees via email to:
Mark Jones, B.A., M.A.
Chair, School of Creative Arts and Animation
70 The Pond Road
Toronto, Ontario M3J 3M6
Phone: (416) 491-5050
Fax: (416) 739-1856
Seneca College is committed to diversity and encourages applications from all qualified candidates, especially aboriginal persons, francophones, members of sexual minority groups, persons with disabilities, visible minorities and women. Upon request by the applicant, accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process. We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Faculty of Communication, Arts and Design is located at the Seneca@York campus on York University. With campuses across the Greater Toronto Area, Seneca College offers degrees, diplomas and certificates renowned for their quality and respected by employers. Combining the highest academic standards with practical, hands-on learning, expert teaching faculty and the latest technology ensures Seneca graduates are career-ready. Seneca’s Faculty of Communication, Arts and Design is a recognized leader in education for a comprehensive range of fields including animation, graphic design, illustration, photography, music & performance, documentary filmmaking, media, fashion, and event production.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.