The Sr. FX Lead is a highly skilled team leader, responsible for the day-to-day management of the FX Artists working on specific shot tasks and sequences, as well as designing/maintaining current workflows and setups needed to deliver specific effects on the show. The ideal candidate is a strong leader, with previous lead/supervisory experience.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Work closely with Head of Department / Supervisor and other leads to identify effects needed on shots and determine artistic and technical approach.
- Work with FX Lead TD to oversee the design, build and implementation of FX setups in Houdini/ Maya.
- Identify complexity of the effects and delegate to FX members best suited for the task.
- Participate in the creative process of the effects as needed through dailies and desk rounds providing constructive feedback and guidance and mentorship
- Act as first line of quality control.
- Report to Head of Department on a daily basis on the progress of the FX work in regards to shot task status, technical issues, resources needed, and team morale.
- Work closely with other TDs, Lighters, Compositors, and Render Wranglers to ensure smooth delivery of effects through our pipeline.
Required Skills & Experience:
- 3+ years film production experience with Houdini (Maya experience an asset)
- Working knowledge and understanding of FX lighting and compositing
- Must have strong communication skills and the ability to work within a team in our fast paced production environment.
- Must be self motivated and have a strong desire to produce the highest possible quality effects within our production schedule.
- Good understanding of scripting / programming in HScript/Mel, Python
Additional Bonus Skills:
- FX Pipeline Development or advanced understanding of processes between software and formats
- Strong knowledge of RenderMan, Mantra
- Shader Development
- BC candidate preferred but not required