3DS Max Technical Director
Snowball Studios is currently looking for a 3DS Max Technical Director to join our expanding team for a large upcoming slate of productions with multiple major IP providers. A background in 3DS Max is mandatory for this position. The Technical Director collaborates with Production and Studio Leadership to determine and manage the technical approach needed to achieve the creative and quality goals of the project within the projected budget, schedule, and resources.
- Work closely with Department Heads, Producers, artists and other necessary departments in creating high quality animation through the technical pipeline.
- Provide clear direction to all CG departments, setting clear objectives and monitoring the process, progress and results
- Clearly brief developers on R&D and pipeline requirements
- Determine, modify and maintain the most effective and efficient technical approach and workflow possible
- Solving day-to-day issues, and pro-actively eliminate potential problems in pipeline tools before they impact the production
- Assist and supervise the artist in achieving all technical aspects of production including assets dev, rigging, animation, lighting, and FX
- Keep up on current technology trends and tools (hardware and software) that best suits the production in the development of a stronger creative technical environment
- Design and implement the technical, artistic pipeline and workflow, and make sure the tools for the project are up to the task
- Train the team members and review their work, ensuring high standard results
- Work with Creative Resources to define recruiting goals to achieve the appropriate balance of qualified artists.
- Ability and willingness to problem solve and create solutions for creative requests from all department heads and show leadership.
- 3 years of work experience as a supervisor in animation with the ability to ensure artists work is of a high caliber both artistically and technically
- Excellent organizational, communication and project management skills
- Good technical understanding of 3ds Max pipelines and the ability to specify efficient workflows and identify additional tools required
- Excellent working knowledge of 3ds Max and knowledge with Vray and Mental Ray.
- Knowledge of Python scripting considered a strong asset
- Excellent understanding of modelling, texturing, look development, lighting and color, particles, fluids and dynamics and excellent attention to details
- Has worked or experience with a Toonshade pipeline.
- Thorough understating of the various technical and creative aspect of production for CG animation
- Proven team leadership, strong motivational skills and willingness to share knowledge
- Previous experience with team management and task assignment is required
- Ability to work under tight deadlines
- A strong Demo Reel showing artistic sensibility, and creative problem solving
- Previous experience training, mentoring and recruiting CG artists
- A degree in computer science, math or engineering would be considered an asset
- Enthusiasm to push a show to it’s full potential, both technically and creatively to create a gratifying experience for the team along with the client.
Toronto, Canada (must be an Ontario resident) or Tel Aviv, Israel
HOW TO APPLY
Thank you for your interest in Snowball Studios!