Senior Technologist, Bachelor of Animation
Employee Group: Support Staff
Faculty/Department: Animation, Arts & Design
Campus: Trafalgar (May be assigned activities at any Sheridan campus)
Reference Number: 18/S/53
Hourly Range: $39.43 – $45.72
Hours: 8:30am – 5:00pm
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Application Details: Position is being reposted to consider external candidates.
Reporting to the Manager, Technical Services, the Senior Technologist, Honours Bachelor of Animation, oversees the digital technologies of the 4-year program. This involves knowledge of specialized hardware and software used in 2-D, 3D and stop motion animation production. The Technologist manages servers and render farms used for the digital production workflow. The incumbent also works on special projects such as the portfolio system, internal coop productions, and other program specific projects.
Specific Responsibilities Include:
- Ensuring that the equipment is in working order in the labs;
- Meeting with co-workers and Work Study Students to determine daily work priorities; oversees Work Study Students to ensure that service in all areas of the program is carried out efficiently and comprehensively;
- Prioritizing and assigning tasks to full-time, part-time and co-op employees;
- Responding to requests from faculty or students to demonstrate equipment or software, troubleshoot, and answers questions related to technology
- Performing daily maintenance to ensure that the services are updated and functioning efficiently;
- Researching and consults with experts on technological developments in the field of animation.
- Making recommendations to the faculty and supervisor on capital purchases, operational requirements, and leases or rentals;
- Overseeing renovation and/or upgrade of classrooms and lab to meet the standard for Health and Safety;
- Writing documentation to support students as it relates to video formats, program settings, exporting to DVD, saving and backing up data and support for their on-line portfolios;
- Providing front-line information to prospective students, visiting dignitaries, and other Sheridan personnel;
- Performing other duties as assigned.
The successful candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- 3 year diploma or degree in Data Services and Systems, or a related field, along with a minimum of 8 years of experience with and extensive knowledge of Windows and Unix operating systems is required (or an equivalent combination of relevant education and experience).
- Must have intimate knowledge of Perl programming (and other such languages) to manage student accounts, server maintenance, login scripts, software licenses assignment folder locking, etc.
- Must have managed server render farms and be highly efficient in a Unix environment
- Extensive knowledge of Microsoft Active Directory, strong technical command of scripting languages (Powershell, VBS, etc.)
- Experience Assisting with capacity planning for network bandwidth, storage requirements, Web sites, and other applications
- Stay informed on new or emerging trends and technologies that provide clear benefits in an educational environment
- Strong understanding of the following networking protocols and services: Active Directory, DHCP, DNS, NFS, CIFS/Samba, PXE.
- Previous use of Extreme Networks switching equipment if applicable; otherwise understanding of enterprise level switch hardware, routing, VLANs.
- Experience in animation or film production and postproduction experience is a must.
- Must have strong analysis and problem solving skills.
- Must possess strong interpersonal, organizational and communication skills and have demonstrated solid customer service skills and initiative, as well as the ability to work under pressure and make sound judgements independently.
- The ability to prioritize and handle many tasks simultaneously while ensuring a high degree of accuracy is essential.
- Must be comfortable working independently while also effectively communicating both verbally and in writing to co-workers, faculty, and students.
Please apply online: https://careers-sheridancollege.icims.com
Sheridan welcomes diversity in the workplace and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including visible minorities, Indigenous People, and persons with disabilities. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), Sheridan is committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process. At any stage of the hiring process, Human Resources will work with applicants requesting accommodation.
Note: Copies of educational credentials are requested at the time of an interview. As a condition of employment, Sheridan requires confirmation of educational credentials in the form of an official Canadian transcript or an official evaluation of international credentials which determines Canadian equivalency.
Comments are closed.