9 Story Media Group’s Toronto studio is now Brown Bag Films! Brown Bag Films is one of the world’s most exciting, original and successful creative-led animation studios.
Working closely with the Producer and Client, the Director is responsible for guiding, supervising and reviewing the work produced by the team ensuring the style and vision of the show is achieved. The Director must have a passion for storytelling and strives to maintain the highest quality entertainment from script to screen. Must be a strong leader and collaborator, who is able to keep a crew focused on the same goal from beginning of production to the end.
Key Areas of Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the execution of the creative and technical direction, in the following stages of production:
- OUTLINES – Technical Notes
- STORYBOARD/SCRIPT ROUGH FIRST PASS – Flag potential problem scenes for animation, work closely with production/producer to navigate potential asset issues and creatively problem solve
- STORYBOARD ROUGH SECOND PASS– Technical and staging/layout notes
- STORYBOARD CLEANUP – Technical and staging/layout notes
- SCENE PLANNING – Review and provide technical and staging/layout notes
- ANIMATION – Provide creative and technical notes in this stage, ensuring the animation teams are guided to stay on style and push creative where needed
- Ensures the style and quality of a series is upheld during all stages of production and communicates this to the department leads to ensure consistency throughout.
- Work closely with the Producer to ensure timelines are maintained
Required Experience/Professional Skills:
- 5+ years’ previous experience (preferred) as director in children’s television within a 2D production environment
- Strong knowledge of Toon Boom Storyboard Pro & Harmony
- Superior understanding of storytelling principles and techniques
- Traditional animation experience and strong drawing skills
- Exhibit strong leadership skills and the ability to manage and motivate a team, give encouraging feedback and implement new initiatives with teams
- Able to effectively communicate creative and technical thoughts and ideas
- Possesses strong management and critical thinking skills
- Display a calm and professional demeanor when working under time constraints and pressure
- Able to multi-task and work efficiently with multiple stakeholders, including creative leads
- Professional and positive attitude
- Able to handle sensitive, confidential information appropriately Why work with us?
Perks! Perks! Perks! Not only is 9 Story Media Group an amazing place full of artists, animators and creators from all corners of the industry, but we focus on helping staff grow and develop in their careers and make them long time team members. Along with a great work environment we offer first-rate health + dental benefits, summer hours, paid Health and Wellness Days, vacation periods that multiply with tenure, and more! We may love animation, but we love our employees even more!
Our Toronto office can be found in the cool and trendy Liberty Village with over 300 artists working on award winning animated children’s content.
Applicants need to be legally eligible to work in Canada and have Ontario Residency.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age. Should you require accommodation throughout the recruitment process, please let us know your requirements when contacted.