Jobby: Production Manager, Layout Artist, Pixar Vancouver!
Finally got word of some hiring at Pixar Vancouver. Here ya go!
Pixar Canada is looking for a Production Manager for its new studio in Vancouver. Pixar Canada is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Pixar Animation Studios, the world leader in animated films. The Vancouver studio will produce short-form animation focusing on legacy Pixar characters from films such as Toy Story and Cars. As a key early hire, this position is critical to the long-term success of the studio. This is an opportunity to help build a world-class organization from the ground-up and to be part of a diverse and talented team.
Summary of Job: Oversee management of all aspects of computer animation production in partnership with the local Creative Director and Supervising Technical Director/CTO. The position will report to the General Manager of Pixar Canada and will also liaison with the Associate Producer and/or Producer in California.
General Duties and Responsibilities:
Schedule and Budget:
• Track the status of every sequence and shot in the production.
• Manage the Creative Director’s time and priorities; produce weekly director schedules.
• Work closely with the Creative Director to communicate creative priorities throughout the production.
• Partner with the GM, CTO and Creative Director to oversee department production schedules, quotas and staffing needs.
• Manage overall production schedule including interdepartmental workflow, and monitor/oversee department budgets, schedules and priorities
• Maintain central production schedule/tracking documents in partnership with Production Accountant.
• Support department managers and coordinators in creating department budgets and schedules.
• Track, document and report on major creative changes resulting in budget/schedule overages.
• Supervise and mentor department coordinators. Facilitate career growth and training for department coordinators, and production assistants.
• Provide guidance and support to department leads.
• Facilitate inter-department and inter-lead communication.
• Facilitate effective department coordinator and lead partnerships.
Tools & Production Database:
• Assist in the selection of software for production database tracking and take a key role in establishing database standards and conventions for the studio.
• In partnership with Production Accountant, develop effective reporting capabilities and formats for senior management.
Support of the creative process
• Use interpersonal skills to resolve conflict, promote a collaborative production environment, and foster an atmosphere of cooperation and communication.
• Attend creative review and approval sessions and provide leadership as needed.
• Suggest production solutions that will allow for needed creative changes to be made.
Background, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
• Minimum 5 years production management experience in animation film production or equivalent.
• Experience with all parts of the animation production pipeline, including layout, modeling, shading, animation, effects, lighting and rendering.
• Familiarity with all aspects of production management, including budget & schedule management, personnel and performance management.
• Expert organizational skills.
• Superior personnel management and team building skills.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, particularly the ability to use positive tone and attitude to diffuse conflict, provide solutions, and cultivate a fun and productive working environment.
• Ability to anticipate and deal with an ever-changing production environment.
• Ability to handle sensitive and confidential material.
• Ability to work well under pressure/deadlines.
• Ability to support artists in all disciplines.
• Ability to pull together and focus diverse teams of artists.
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel, MS Project or equivalent, and databases helpful.
If you are interested in and qualified for this position, please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Production Manager”.
About Pixar Canada
Pixar Canada is looking for a Layout Artist for its new studio in Vancouver. Pixar Canada is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Pixar Animation Studios, the world leader in animated films. The Vancouver studio will produce short-form animation focusing on legacy Pixar characters from films such as Toy Story and Cars. As a key early hire, this position is critical to the long-term success of the studio. This is an opportunity to help build a world-class organization from the ground-up and to be part of a diverse and talented team.
Summary of Position
Working to realize the Director’s cinematic vision, the Layout Artist creates sequences of shots that convey the story through the application of traditional film making principles in a 3D computer graphics environment.
• Establish character blocking, camera positioning and animate camera movement.
• Technical set-up of shots for downstream production departments.
• Post-animation camera adjustments and polish.
• Work closely with local leadership team in Vancouver as well as the Emeryville team via teleconferencing technologies.
• Reel should show examples of work on a CG animated film or television production that exhibits a strong emphasis on visual storytelling through the use of staging, composition and editing.
• Reel should include entire sequences, not just single clips.
• Short films may be included in their entirety.
• Reel should show sequences in their layout form. Including the storyboard animatic as well as final film clips to show progression is recommended.
• Personal projects may be included, if relevant.
• 5+ years in 3D computer animation camera experience required.
• Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Must be open to direction and able to embrace change.
• Experience in other CG fields, such as previs, modeling and lighting a plus.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Film, Animation or Fine Arts recommended, though not required.
If you are interested in and qualified for this position, please submit a cover letter, resume, link that points us directly to your demo reel, and reel breakdown/shotlist to email@example.com with the subject line “Layout Artist”. PLEASE DO NOT EMAIL DEMO REELS. If you don’t have a website to showcase your work, you may be able to use a free service like Dropbox.