February 3, 2011
About Pixar Canada
Pixar Canada is looking for an Environment/Sets Modeling Artist (“TD”) for its Vancouver studio. Pixar Canada is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Pixar Animation Studios, the world leader in animated films. The Vancouver studio produces short-form animation focusing on legacy Pixar characters from films such as Toy Story and Cars.
Summary of Position
The Environment/Sets Modeling Artist creates and modifies digital sets and
props to suit the needs of a particular animation production project.
General Duties and Responsibilities
Modeling the geometry of sets and props, and assembling these models into fully dressed sets. As well as expertise with 3D modeling software, the ideal set modeler has a knowledge of architectural styles and is skilled in procedural modeling. Set dressing requires strong visual skills to produce a pleasing composition of objects as seen through the camera view. The Artist is responsible for creation, revision, maintenance and support of the digital assets, responding to guidance and review notes from the director as well as creative and technical supervisors. Digital assets must meet standards and specifications with respect to appearance and aesthetics, user interface, performance, and robustness. Environment/Sets Modeling Artists must support users (other Technical Directors and Animators) who make use of the digital assets.
– Must have 3 or more years experience in CG animation production for television, film, visual effects or games.
– Must have experience with a high-end 3D modeling and animation system (such as Maya, Modo, XSI, Houdini or 3D Studio Max). Skill and experience in the use of subdivision surfaces is highly desirable.
– Must have a good understanding of 3D computer graphics theory and practice.
– Must have good understanding of shape, composition and architectural design.
– Must have good written and verbal communication skills.
– Must be able to work alone and collaboratively, often with multiple tasks and under deadline pressure.
– Must be open to direction and able to embrace change.
In addition to these required qualifications, any of the following attributes will be considered a plus:
•Degree in architecture, art, computer science, or engineering.
•Ability to program in a scripting language such as Mel or Python.
•Skill in drawing, sketching, or sculpting.
If you are interested in and qualified for this position, please submit your cover letter, resume, link that points us directly to your portfolio or demo reel, along with an itemized list of the portfolio/reel contents, on our website www.pixarcanada.com. PLEASE DO NOT EMAIL DEMO REELS. If you don’t have a website to showcase your work, you may be able to use a free service like Dropbox https://www.dropbox.com/.