Pixar Canada is offering an exciting 12 month Apprentice program which is ideally intended to give recent graduates with a year or less work experience, valuable hands-on experience and exposure to our unique production environment. This is an excellent opportunity to learn from working professionals and work with a world-class organization and to be part of a diverse and talented team.
Summary of Position
The Technical Artist creates and modifies digital characters, sets and props to suit the needs of a particular animation production project.
The Apprentice Technical Artist will work with other crew members on one or more of the following areas:
Character Modeling: Constructing the shapes of digital character models in a 3D modeling system such as Maya. Converting such models for use in our proprietary animation system (Menv).
Character Rigging: Adding controls to digital characters. These controls are used to position, move, and pose the models. Rigging requires an understanding of anatomy and expression, and riggers work closely with animators to design a set of controls that support all of the desired range of poses and behaviors. Scripting is often used to construct more sophisticated rigs, so it is valuable for a rigger to have good programming skills.
Set Modeling and Dressing: Modeling the geometry of sets and props, and assembling these models into fully dressed sets. The ideal set modeler has experience with 3D modeling software and is interested in architecture and design. Set dressing requires strong visual skills to produce a pleasing composition of objects as seen through the camera view.
The Apprentice Sets and Characters Technical Artist will work to create, review, maintain and support the digital assets, responding to guidance and review notes from the director as well as creative and technical supervisors.
• Must have a portfolio or demo reel that displays the ability to model in 3D using tools such as Maya, Modo, XSI, Houdini or 3D Studio Max.
• Completed a degree or certificate in Art, Fine Art, Illustration, Visual Arts or Computer Science.
• Should have a good understanding of 3D computer graphics theory and practice.
• Must have good understanding of shape, composition, physical motion, weight and balance.
• Must have good written and verbal communication skills.
• Must be able to work alone and collaboratively, often with multiple tasks and under deadline pressure.
• Must be open to direction and able to embrace change.
In addition to these required qualifications, any of the following attributes will be considered a plus:
• Skill in drawing, sketching, or sculpting.
If you are interested in and qualified for this position, please submit a cover letter, resume, link that points us directly to your portfolio and/or demo reel, along with an itemized list of the portfolio/reel contents through the application on our website, www.pixarcanada.com
PLEASE DO NOT EMAIL DEMO REELS. If you don’t have a website to showcase your work, you may be able to use a free service like Dropbox.