About Pixar Canada
Pixar Canada is looking for a Layout Artist for its new studio in Vancouver. Pixar Canada is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Pixar Animation Studios, the world leader in animated films. The Vancouver studio produces short-form animation focusing on legacy Pixar characters from films such as Toy Story and Cars. This is an opportunity to join a diverse and talented team producing world-class animation. Your ideas and experience can have a major impact on the success of our studio.
Summary of Position
Working to realize the Director’s cinematic vision, the Layout Artist creates sequences of shots that convey the story through the application of traditional film making principles in a 3D computer graphics environment.
General Duties and Responsibilities
– Establish character blocking, camera positioning and animate camera movement (also referred to as previs).
– Technical set-up of shots for downstream production departments.
– Post-animation camera polish.
– Work closely with local leadership team in Vancouver as well as the Emeryville team via teleconferencing technologies.
- Reel should show examples of work on a CG animated film or television production that exhibits a strong emphasis on visual storytelling through the use of staging, composition, and editing.
- Reel should include entire sequences, not just single clips.
- Short films may be included in their entirety.
- Reel should show sequences in their layout form. Including the storyboard animatic as well as final film clips to show progression is recommended.
- Personal projects may be included, if relevant.
- Experience in 3D computer animation camera required.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be open to direction and able to embrace change.
- Experience in other CG fields, such as animation, modeling, and lighting a plus.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Film, Animation or Fine Arts recommended, though not required.
If you are interested in and qualified for this position, please apply to the position here, submitting a cover letter, resume, link that points us directly to your demo reel, and reel breakdown/shotlist
If you don’t have a website to showcase your work, you may be able to use a free service like Dropbox.