May 11, 2011
About Pixar Canada
Pixar Canada is looking for a Lighting Apprentice for its studio in Vancouver. Pixar Canada is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Pixar Animation Studios, the world leader in animated films. The Vancouver studio will produce short-form animation focusing on legacy Pixar characters from films such as Toy Story and Cars. This is an opportunity to be part of a new, diverse and talented team producing world-class digital character animation.
Summary of Position
Pixar Canada offers an exciting 12 month apprentice program intended to give recent graduates valuable hands-on experience and exposure to our unique production environment. This is an excellent opportunity to learn from working professionals.
The Lighting Apprentice works with other crew members to do shot lighting of the sets & characters in an animated short film. Lighting makes the images look attractive, rich, and interesting, while conveying the mood, directing the viewer’s attention to key story points, and making sure that the important action is visible and easy to understand. It also involves both the placement and adjustment of lights in Pixar’s proprietary lighting system, and the use of compositing tools to further modify and enhance the appearance of the rendered image.
The Lighting Apprentice will work closely with Lighting TDs as well as other departments, especially with shading TDs, visual effects TDs, and rendering TDs, to make sure that the lighting integrates properly with other elements and renders properly.
- Completed a degree or certificate in Art, Fine Art, Illustration, Visual Arts or Computer Science.
- Must have a portfolio/demo reel that displays the ability to notice subtle differences in lighting and rendering, and a good understanding of light, color, contrast, shading, and lighting design
- Must have strong problem-solving skills and attention to detail and quality.
- Must have good written and verbal communication skills, and be able to communicate clearly and effectively.
- Must be able to work alone and collaboratively, often with multiple tasks.
- Must be open to direction and able to embrace change.
In addition to these required qualifications, any of the following attributes will be considered a plus:
- Skill in painting, photography, drawing, and sketching.
If you are interested in and qualified for this position, please apply to the position on our website www.pixarcanada.com, submitting your cover letter, resume, and a link that points us directly to your demo reel and reel breakdown/shotlist. PLEASE DO NOT EMAIL DEMO REELS. If you don’t have a website to showcase your work, you may be able to use a free service like Dropbox.