Guru Studio seeks a Senior Location Designer for the second season of their original series Justin Time.
Justin Time is a “2d/3d Hybrid” production with a unique look. Visually, it pulls design influences from the likes of Mary Blair, Golden Book Illustrations and Samurai Jack. The Character designs are bright, colourful and highly refined using simple graphic shapes. Environments are whimsical and highly stylized with a blend of clean graphic shapes, painterly textures, and a rich feeling of light and atmosphere. The Animation style is energetic and playful and the direction of the show will make use of creative camera compositions and movement.
Every episode we visit a different time and place in history, so a wide variety of people, animals, costumes, themes, and locations are designed throughout the production.
You can see a trailer for visual reference here: http://www.gurustudio.com/justintime/
- Collaborate with Art Director and design team to develop a consistent look for the show
- Contribute substantially and decisively to the evolution of the show design
- Conceptualize, create and maintain detailed design documentation throughout the project cycle.
- Evolve ideas in conjunction with a team and assign work to your design team
- Assist design colleagues to bring the project in as planned.
- Mentor design colleagues and level artists. Provide guidance, feedback, or instruction to those individuals that enhance their work. This includes reviewing scripts/storyboard etc.
- Demonstrate commitment to creative collaboration in a time-sensitive environment.
- Candidate needs to be flexible and able to design backgrounds, props, and occasionally character, wardrobe, etc both conceptual and production ready art.
- Excellent drawing and painting skills and sense of colour.
- A solid understanding on how to arrive at a stylized “cartoon” look and how it relates to three dimensional space.
- A solid understanding of light and shadow
- Experience with Photoshop – knowledge of other art/graphics software an asset
- Use of vector shapes an asset
- Understanding of the basics of 3D animation production
- Works well under pressure in a small studio environment.
- Excellent creativity and demonstrated ability to generate innovative concepts and ideas.
- A thorough understanding of major elements of show design including, story, dialog, interface, character interaction, mission/environment design, look and feel.
- Ability to productively discuss, make decisions, and communicate ideas in a wide variety of aesthetic areas (backgrounds, characters, wardrobe, props etc.).
- Recognized by leads and amongst peers as highly skilled and a top contributor.
- Art school Diploma.
- Previous show experience a must.
- It is necessary for every applicant to provide a portfolio in digital format.
Please send resumes and reels with a descriptive list to:
Attention: Hire Me!
110 Spadina Ave., Suite 500
Toronto, ON M5V 2K4
We are unable to return materials, so please do not submit originals.
This is a part time position beginning this July followed by a full time contract position beginning in November. You must be legally entitled to work in Canada. Guru studio is an equal opportunity employer. No phone calls please and no relocation will be provided.