March 13, 2012
About Pixar Canada
Pixar Canada is looking for a Technical Artist – Rigging (“TD”) for its Vancouver Studio. Pixar Canada is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Pixar Animation Studios, the world leader in animated films. The Vancouver studio produces short-form animation focusing on legacy Pixar characters from films such as Toy Story and Cars.
Summary of Job
The Rigging TD adds controls to digital characters. These controls are used to position, move, and pose the models. Rigging requires an understanding of anatomy and expression, and riggers work closely with animators to design a set of controls that support all of the desired range of poses and behaviors. Scripting is often used to construct more sophisticated rigs, so it is valuable for a rigger to have good programming skills.
In all of these tasks, the TD is responsible for creation, revision, maintenance and support of the digital assets, responding to guidance and review notes from the director as well as creative and technical supervisors. Digital assets must meet standards and specifications with respect to appearance and aesthetics, user interface, performance, and robustness.
– Must have 3 or more years experience in CG animation production for television, film, games or visual effects.
– Skill and experience is required character rigging as described above
– Must have experience with a high-end 3D modeling and animation system (such as Maya, Modo, XSI, Houdini or 3D Studio Max). Skill and experience in the use of subdivision surfaces is highly desirable.
– Must have a good understanding of 3D computer graphics theory and practice.
– Must have good understanding of shape, composition, physical motion, weight and balance.
– Must have good written and verbal communication skills.
– Must be able to work alone and collaboratively, often with multiple tasks and under deadline pressure.
– Must be open to direction and able to embrace change.
In addition to these required qualifications, any of the following attributes will be considered a plus:
•Degree in computer science, art, architecture, or engineering.
•Ability to program in a scripting language such as Mel or Python.
•Skill in drawing, sketching, or sculpting.
If you are interested in and qualified for this position, please apply to this position, submitting your cover letter, resume, link that points us directly to your portfolio or demo reel, along with an itemized list of the portfolio/reel contents, on our website www.pixarcanada.com. PLEASE DO NOT EMAIL DEMO REELS. If you don’t have a website to showcase your work, you may be able to use a free service like Dropbox www.dropbox.com.