September 13, 2012
About Pixar Canada
Pixar Canada is looking for a Supervising Technical Director for its Vancouver studio. Pixar Canada is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Pixar Animation Studios, the world leader in animated films. The Vancouver studio produces short-form animation focusing on legacy Pixar characters from films such as Toy Story and Cars.
The Supervising Technical Director (Supe Tech) defines and guides the technical strategy for each film, in collaboration with the Director/Line Producer/Creative Director and technical department leads. The Supe Tech reports to the Line Producer. This is a senior leadership position with the ideal candidate having strong technical sensibilities, management expertise and experience of working closely with a film’s director.
– Supervises the Leads of the Sets & Characters, Visual Effects (FX), Lighting, and Rendering departments.
– Makes decisions about the organization and set up of the master asset tree and the technical production pipeline for each film, and supervises implementation of those decisions.
– Acts as the Director’s (Line Producer’s, Creative Director’s) advisor on technical matters and ways of achieving creative goals within the constraints of technical feasibility and schedule/resource requirements.
– Work with the Leads and production management staff to review and refine bids and schedules.
– Identifies and prioritizes important technical problems and challenges for each film.
– Works with Leads to make plans for solving technical problems and overcoming challenges. Assigns responsibility to teams and particular technical artists for parts of the solution.
– Acts as a point of escalation for difficult technical issues and
cross-departmental workflow and collaboration issues.
– Working with Production Engineering and Systems, keeps up to date on current technology trends, tools, and techniques that might be advantageous for upcoming projects.
– Watches over the technical culture, skills and satisfaction of the crew with respect to training, technical challenge, efficiency and ease of working.
– Must have experience supervising the technical aspects of CG production for animation or live-action visual effects.
– Must have a good working knowledge of film production technology and pipelines.
– Must have strong leadership and management skills, including the ability to delegate and mentor.
– Must have strong technical ability, problem-solving skills and a good eye for detail and quality.
– Must have good written and verbal communication skills, and be able to communicate clearly and effectively with technical and non-technical stakeholders at all levels.
– Must be able to work alone and collaboratively, often with multiple tasks and under deadline pressure.
– Must be open to direction and able to embrace change.
To apply for this position, please submit your resume, cover letter and demo reel showcasing your work to the application on our website www.pixarcanada.com.
Applications for this position must be received by September 30, 2012.