Arc Productions, a Canadian based CG animation and visual effects facility located in downtown Toronto is looking for Layout Artists for a short term contract. With over 250 artists and technical directors and the most up to date resources available, we bring the vision to both major Hollywood studios and independent producers to life in a wide array of formats: theatrical features, television, DVDs, shorts and game cinematics.
JOB TITLE: Layout Artist
REPORTS TO: Head of Layout
The Layout Artist stages shots and plots the action that will take place within each scene using Maya and prepares these shots for presentation to the show’s Director. This position must anticipate, communicate, and troubleshoot any creative or technical issues, and perform additional duties as required.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Stage shots and plot the action that will take place within each scene using Maya, ensuring continuity and flow within and between shots and sequences
- Block in the position of characters and major shots within assigned scenes, using storyboards as reference
- Select camera angles and plot camera moves
- Rework and change rough timing of shots as necessary
- Maintain a convention of file naming structures for all shots that is compatible within Arc Productions pipeline
- Prepare assigned shots for presentation to Director
- Present material and outline relevant details to Director and other relevant parties
- Note required revisions and amend shots as necessary
- Anticipate, communicate, and troubleshoot any creative or technical issues with assistance from key stakeholders
- Perform additional duties as required
REQUIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- 3+ years relevant layout experience, preferably in CG animation
- Completed post-secondary education in classical or 3D animation, art fundamentals, or other relevant area of study
- Strong working knowledge of Maya
- Strong knowledge of constraints in Maya
- General knowledge of MEL scripting or Python an asset
- Working knowledge of cinematography, composition, film structure, and screen direction
- Strong traditional art skills including a strong sense of composition and perspective
- Strong creative problem solving skills
- Good understanding of the possibilities and limitations of CG animation
- Ability to perform to standard under tight deadlines
- Ability to handle feedback and constructive criticism well
- Working knowledge of Adobe Premiere or other video editing software
- Rough lighting skills an asset
Please apply at our website @ http://www.arcproductions.com/careers
Thank you for your interest but only qualified candidates will be contacted. No phone calls please.
My name is Pasquale and I’m contacting you regarding a position for your layout department. I have been a freelance animator since 2004 and am situated in downtown Toronto.
Most of my working career has been in 2D animation, however my first skills were in 3D animation. From 2005-2007 I have worked for Bioware Corp. based in Edmonton and mostly trained in 3D Studio Max. I have also done 2 short commercial pieces with Cadburry through Chuck Gammage Animation. Although it may have been a short time since I have touched 3D, I believe you will find my presence and help very useful.
If you wish to contact me or ask any questions you may email me or call by cel phone 647 447 1211.
Thank you for reading my submission and take care.
Pasquale, please apply via the contact info in the post.