Art Director – 2D
At Brown Bag Films our motto is simple: “We love animation.” In fact, we love it so much we trademarked it! ‘We Love Animation™.’ We are looking for a dynamic Art Director to join our Toronto Studio; someone who shares our love of Animation and will bring with them a passion for creating high quality animated content. In addition to your passion and creativity, you will bring 4+ years’ experience as an Art Director. In this role, you’ll be tasked with overseeing a team of talented creatives; shepherding their raw material from rough to polish and ensuring a cohesive, unified vision for an “art-mazing” end result. Key areas of responsibility will include:
Key Areas of responsibilities:
- Work closely with the Director on the series to create the overall feel and colour of the show
- Work with the Director and the funpack Artist to go through the script and make creative calls and flag areas of concern
- Create and oversee story driven concept art
- Oversee composition and VFX departments with an eye to pushing the series aesthetic
- Assist with colour direction and create colour keys to be approved by the Director/Client
- Oversee and approve funpack designs and ensures that they are on style that technically fit into animation
- Oversee background, design and layout teams to reflect creative vision and goals and ensure that they are staying on schedule
- Collaborate with rigging at launch with additional follow up meetings to find the balance between workability and creative
- Review scenes for scene planning and check in regularly to discuss scaling, composition, and set details
- Review interstitials and oversee their execution
- Be proactive to plan out the workflow ahead of time to ensure that deadlines are met
- Help to define the team’s standards and practices
Required Experience/Professional Skills:
- 4+ years of experience in the role
- Strong understanding of drawing, colour and design theories
- Solid understanding of programs needed (Photoshop, Flash, Harmony) and be able to problem solve to increase productivity
- Solid understanding of character and background design and be able to provide guidance on how to overcome challenges
- Solid understanding of the workflow of each department and provide suggestions on how to improve the process
- Ability to be proactive and anticipate potential problems
- Able to multitask and meet or exceed all deadlines
Why work with us?
Perks! Perks! Perks! Not only is 9 Story Media Group an amazing place full of artists, animators and creators from all corners of the industry, but we focus on helping staff grow and develop in their careers and make them long time team members. Along with a great work environment we offer first-rate health + dental benefits, summer hours, paid Health and Wellness Days, vacation periods that multiply with tenure, and more! We may love animation, but we love our employees even more!
Our Toronto office can be found in the cool and trendy Liberty Village with over 200 artists working on award winning animated children’s content. You will benefit from a competitive compensation package, interesting work and a fun/supportive work environment.
Check out our website at:
Applicants need to be legally eligible to work in Canada.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age. Should you require accommodation throughout the recruitment process, please let us know your requirements when contacted.