Pixar Canada is looking for an Associate Production Manager for its new studio in Vancouver. Pixar Canada is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Pixar Animation Studios, the world leader in animated films. The Vancouver studio produces short-form animation focusing on legacy Pixar characters from films such as Toy Story and Cars.
Summary of Job:
This position works with all levels of Production Management and crew in order to merge creative and production goals to complete projects on timeand on budget. Direct reports include production coordinator(s) andproduction assistant(s). This position will report to the Production Manager.
General Duties and Responsibilities:
– Maintain production data in the studio’s production database to reflect scheduled, in-progress, and completed departmental work. Collaborate with production coordinators and assistants to keep all data accurate and current.
– Ensure proper preparation for all meetings and reviews.
– Displays leadership and helps maintain a positive team environment.
– Partner with all CG department leads to successfully run the day-to-day operations of the production.
– Keen ability to work effectively with all levels and types of staff.
– As a member of management, ensure and protect a highly functional team that includes the ability to communication effectively up, down and across the show and the studio.
– Develop and manage internal schedules and staffing for all CG departments.
– Provide updates and specific information to the Production Manager on production related changes, delays, requests, etc. Produce a high level of problem solving services in areas such as: pipeline bottlenecks, time adjustments, morale issues, performance checks, equipment/supplies, etc.
– In conjunction with production coordinator(s), oversee and maintain all department schedules which are usually changing on a weekly or daily basis.
– Motivate crew members effectively. Identify and resolve personnel issues as they arise.
– Help create and implement production-wide process improvements, encouraging innovation and sustainable methods.
– Monitor equipment needs, identify problem areas, and recommend improvements.
– Administer effective performance reviews and personnel feedback for direct reports as well as provide input on performance reviews for technical artists and animators.
– In conjunction with the Production Manager, help manage Directors’ interactions with the various CG department in order to enhance the Directors’ and each departments’ productivity.
– Manage overall production schedule including interdepartmental workflow, and monitor/oversee department budgets, schedules and priorities.
– Help maintain central production schedule/tracking documents in partnership with Production Accountant.
– Track, document and report on major creative changes resulting in budget/schedule overages.
– Facilitate career growth and training for department coordinators, and production assistants.
– In conjunction with the Production Manager, help provide guidance and support to CG department leads.
– Facilitate inter-department and inter-lead communication.
– Use interpersonal skills to resolve conflict, promote a collaborative production environment, and foster an atmosphere of cooperation and communication.
– Attend creative review and approval sessions and provide leadership as needed.
– Suggest production solutions that will allow for needed creative changes to be made.
– Be available during critical production times
– 5 or more years of progressive experience in feature film production environment with an emphasis in animation and/or visual effects.
– Minimum 3 years of proven track record in a production management capacity.
– Proven ability to work effectively in a high energy, fast-paced, ever-changing environment
– Excellent working knowledge of film production pipeline and methodologies.
– Must have superior communication, feedback, and follow-through skills.
– Ability to work in partnership with people, set goals, build teams and motivate creative talent and effectively handle personnel issues when those goals are not met.
– Ability to prioritize the department’s workload with attention to overall schedule and budgetary limitations.
– Ability to anticipate and manage multiple tasks within a dynamic, fast-paced, and deadline-driven production environment.
– Working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel, MS Project or equivalent, and databases such as Shotgun helpful.
– Familiarity with all aspects of production management, including budget & schedule management, personnel and performance management.
– Expert organizational skills.
– Superior personnel management and team building skills.
– Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, particularly the ability to use positive tone and attitude to diffuse conflict, provide solutions, and cultivate a fun and productive working environment.
– Ability to work well under pressure/deadlines and constant interruptions.
– Ability to support artists in all disciplines.
If you are interested in and qualified for this position, please submit a cover letter and resume on our website www.pixarcanada.com