Job Title: 2D Layout Supervisor
Company Name: Jam Filled
Location: Toronto, ON, remote, flexible
Salary Range: Not available
Position Status: Contract
Union Status: Non-Union
- Healthcare and dental
- Competitive remuneration
- Outstanding vacation package
- Various activities, team-building events and parties
- Focus on work/life balance
Jam Filled is a dynamic workplace for like-minded creative artists, we will remind you why you love cartooning: every project is produced with an eye for quality and an ear for fun!
Our Toronto studio is looking for a Layout Supervisor on our brand-new 2D series. The Layout artist is responsible for composing shots, using boards and 2D location and prop design keys to draw and create the best possible background to support the animation for each scene.
You’ll get to:
- Manage a team of layout leads and layout artists
- Analyze lieca for master, original and reuse scenes in storyboard.
- Communicate scenes, handling of assets and technical requirements to team of layout artists.
- Work with artists and leads to create black and white background linework for use in show.
- Oversee and quality check the work of your artists.
- Working closely with the animation director, art director, and department leads – interpreting the boards into the best possible shot to support animation and keep the look and feel of the show.
- Collaborating with other 2D department leads to ensure technical considerations are being satisfied
- Ensure that the production schedule and scope of the show is being adhered to
- Stage shots using boards, character rotations, and location keys
- Use storyboards and character keys to identify and maintain believable size relationships within backgrounds.
- Use boards to draw angles and plot camera moves.
- Rework and change rough board angles if necessary.
- Maintain a convention of file naming structures for all shots that are compatible within Jam Filled Productions pipeline
- Prepare layout files with appropriate layers and labelling in a consistent manner to be handed off to BG paint.
- Present material and outline relevant details to Director and other relevant parties
- Note required revisions and amend shots as necessary
- Anticipate, communicate, and troubleshoot any creative or technical issues with assistance from key stakeholders
- Perform additional duties as required
This will be your JAM if you have:
- 5+ years relevant layout experience, preferably in 2D layout
- Completed post-secondary education in classical or 3D animation, art fundamentals, or other relevant area of study
- Working knowledge of cinematography, composition, film structure, screen direction
- Strong working knowledge of Photoshop and Clip Studio Pro
- Strong traditional art skills including a strong sense of composition and perspective
- Strong creative problem-solving skills
- Good understanding of the possibilities and limitations of 2D Animation
- Ability to perform to standard under tight deadlines
- Ability to handle feedback and constructive criticism well
- Digital painting skills an asset.
Company Website, About: https://www.jamfilled.com/
In 2007, three guys decided to build a studio that they would want to work for. Jam Filled has since expanded from a modest 400-square-foot attic in rural Manotick to a fully-operational, multi-production animation company with studios in Ottawa and Toronto. A dynamic workplace for like-minded creative artists, Jam Filled will remind you why you love cartooning: every project is produced with an eye for quality and an ear for fun!
Jam Filled proudly joined the Boat Rocker Media Group family in 2016, which allowed the studio to spread its wings and grow as it continues to produce the highest quality animation and original content in the country.
To Apply: Please submit your application here:
Commitment to Barrier-Free Selection Process and Work Environment.
Boat Rocker is committed to hiring and supporting diverse candidates. We strongly encourage applications from people who identify as being part of an under-represented and equity-deserving group. This would include people who identify as racialized, Black, Indigenous, women, LGBTQ2SI+, and having a disability among others. We also recognize the importance of intersectional identities in our hiring and retention.
Boat Rocker Media is committed to providing an inclusive and accessible candidate experience. If you require accommodation during the recruitment and selection process, please let us know. We will work with you to meet your needs.
Application Deadline: July 20, 2022.